I don’t know about you, but for me a city is only as good as the food it has to offer. So you are entirely in luck if you have the privilege to live in or around beautiful Kansas City! Not only do the locals know that’s the truth, but so does food experts Guy Fieri and Gordon Ramsay who have put their individual mark on the city’s restaurant scene! Whether you want to have a night out on the town drinking fancy cocktails while gazing at the plaza lights or having a nice carry out meal to take back home for the family… Downtown Kansas City alone has anything and everything you could ever crave within a 5 to 10 mile radius! So yeah, consider your taste buds lucky! Here are my personal top 10 FAVORITE Restaurants in the great city of KCMO:
1. Jack Stack Barbecue: I can’t start this list with an Italian restaurant now could I? Not when we are in Kansas City, Missouri. We pride ourselves on two very important things. Our sports teams and our undying love for barbecue! It’s Kansas City and no matter where you go to for barbecue you can pretty much expect some of the best flavors to ever have wound up in your mouth! Do yourself a favor though, go to Jack Stack Barbecue first. Ranked at #5 out of 946 restaurants in the area; you will never leave unsatisfied. Start with some of their jumbo fried mushrooms dipped in their horseradish sauce and give their fresh homemade soup a try while you’re at it. Some of their most popular dishes include their barbecue stuffed potato which is full of your choice of pulled pork, chopped burnt ends, or smoked turkey topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter, and green onions! As well as their Smokin’ Russ sandwich that has a heaping pile of chopped burnt ends, spicy barbecue sauce, diced jalapeños, with cheddar and jack cheeses to top! In need of a nice handcrafted cocktail to wash it down? Try the Smoked Apple Manhattan or their Kansas City Lemonade during their Happy Hour Monday-Friday from 3:00 to 5:00pm! This place has it all. From ribs to fish for your entree and vegetable kabobs to cheesy potato bake for your sides. Don’t get me going on their crème brulee! You will never be disappointed in this place. Located at 101 W 22nd St Ste 300 Freight House, Kansas City, MO 64108.
2. The Cheesecake Factory: Boy oh boy, just go online to check out the menu at this restaurant! You won’t find any other one like it. The only downside I’ve ever found to this place was actually deciding on what to get! The food is not only high quality, but you get some of the most delicious dishes each and every time! The staff is always up to par, the building is BEAUTIFUL, and the overall experience is a solid 10/10. My personal go to order (and it hasn’t changed for the last 15 years since it’s so good) is their dynamite shrimp to start which is a generous portion of crispy tempura shrimp smothered with a creamy spicy dynamite sauce. Next is the macaroni and cheese burger that is charbroiled and topped with their creamy fried macaroni and cheese balls and doused in cheddar cheese sauce with a side of french fries and steamed broccoli. Now by that point you would think that dessert just wouldn’t be on a person’s mind, right? WRONG. It’s the Cheesecake Factory! They are known for their cheesecake so you have to take a piece to go. They have over 20 different ones to choose from! If you’re a peanut butter and chocolate lover like I am then you will love their Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake that has layers of cheesecake, peanut butter, fudge cake, and caramel! They aren’t ranked #7 out of 46 dessert places in KC for nothing! This is yet another gem in Kansas City that you will never be disappointed with going to! Located at The Country Club Plaza 4701 Wyandotte Street Kansas City, MO 64112.
3. Stroud’s Restaurant & Bar: Ranked in at #13 of 380 American joints in Kansas City and #15 of 946 Restaurants in all of Kansas City… It is a hidden treasure for sure! This quaint little place takes home in an actual farm house! The atmosphere is very homey and lively which makes it one of my favorite comfort food restaurants. Not only does it make you feel like you’re having Sunday dinner with your Grandma but it tastes better than Grandma’s Sunday dinner too! The food is served family style, as fresh as could be, and the amount they give you is monstrous! They have the best fried gizzards you’ve ever had and man oh man that chicken fried chicken with gravy! Sides include any form of potatoes you can think of, mac and cheese, green beans, homemade apple sauce, and the best part… HUGE UNLIMITED CINNAMON ROLLS! Everything about this restaurant is authentic and you will be coming back for years to come. Located at 5410 NE Oak Ridge Dr, Kansas City, MO 64119.
4. Manny’s Mexican Restaurant: Sometimes it’s hard to find authentic Mexican food but that isn’t the case here! Manny’s is rated #4 out of 80 Mexican restaurants in Kansas City. The queso and salsa is a delicious starter for any Mexican place but they take that to a whole different level! The Bombas which are jalapeños filled with cream cheese, breaded, and deep fried served with a side of sweet red pepper sauce is a crowd favorite! There are so many different tacos, burritos, fajita’s, and specialties to choose from. If Mexican is your go to, then this is the place for you! You will enjoy every dish you try and the people who run it are wonderful as well. This is for sure a place to try when you get that salty and hearty craving for nachos! Stop by at 207 Southwest Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64108.
5. Grinders: By far one of the most artistic, hippest, and delicious pizza place you’ll find around! But, they don’t JUST have pizzas. They have some amazing burgers, sandwiches, wings, and philly cheesesteaks! They have the greatest tater tots you will ever taste, with multiple seasoning that you can get on them. One of their pizzas called the Serious Flesh Feast which has creamy white sauce, bacon, Canadian bacon, ham, and meatballs was featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives actually! So if that doesn’t show you what you’re missing, I’m not quite sure what will! Check them out in the Kansas City Art District at 417 E 18th St Kansas City, MO 64108.
6. Harvey’s at Union Station: There’s plenty of things to do in Kansas City. The nightlife and social scene is unlike any other! So for the nights where you go to bed too late and wake up wishing you had went to bed five hours earlier… Harvey’s is the place for you! The food is to die for and is light on your wallet as well. They offer both buffet and table side ordering so whatever you may be craving, you can satisfy! Their breakfast and brunch menu is universal for pretty much anybody in your family, so bring on the picky eaters. If you want to start your day with either a caprese salad or traditional eggs benedict, then you sure can at Harvey’s! Not only will you keep coming back for the food but the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. Located inside an architectural masterpiece, the Union Station; you will have an eye full of beautiful artwork surrounding you from the floors to the ceiling. While you chow down on some mini pancakes, take a look around and plan to do a bit of touring inside! Cough, cough… Science City. Roll on in at 30 W Pershing Rd, Kansas City, MO 64108.
7. Blu Koi Noodles & Dumplings: Yet ANOTHER Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives finds that you just can’t not visit. As to be expected for being ranked #1 out of 48 Chinese restaurants in Kansas City! On the show they featured some of their most popular dishes including the Fire Bird Chicken Noodles and Spicy Chili Pepper Wontons. They not only have some amazing options for your carnivorous friends, but also for your vegetarian/vegan ones as well! Which is a huge plus in my book since everyone can enjoy this cutting edge eatery! The sauces they use to flavor each dish is impeccable. Everyone I know who’s been here say they have the best dumplings as well as the lovely environment making the whole experience that much more pleasant. If you are a tea lover then you will be impressed by how delicious their bubble teas are and how many flavors they have to choose from! Go give them a try at 1803 W 39th St, Kansas City, MO 64111.
8. Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant: The atmosphere of this fun and interactive place is most definitely the reason this place is making my list of KC favs! ESPECIALLY for how family friendly it is. Located in Crown Center, Fritz’s is a restaurant unlike any other. From the employees greeting you with train conductor hats (which they give your kiddos as well), ordering food via your own phone in booth, and receiving your food from… Wait for it… AN OVERHEAD TOY TRAIN! Hot dogs, burgers, shakes, and fries is what you will find at this wonderful spot! Typical diner food, but the experience is unlike any other. If you have children or heck if YOU enjoy yourself some novelty train fun; you will love this place. Fun environment, family friendly, and good food for a great price. Located at 2450 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64108. You won’t regret it!
9. Tasso’s Greek Restaurant: Breaking plates and belly dancers? That’s enough to have you coming back for more for sure! But even though you feel more alive and young when you leave; the food is for sure the highlight of this place! Try the delicious chicken kabob and Saganaki which is flaming cheese that is served with pita bread. Their seasonings for the meats and the rice is to die for. You’ll crave the food and experience instantly when you leave. I have never been to a place so energetic and welcoming that offers such amazing food as well. Words can’t describe the experience this place gives you. If you haven’t already decided on a place for dinner tonight, Tasso’s it should be! This unique restaurant sits at 8411 Wornall Rd, Kansas City, MO 64114
10. Eddie V’s Prime Seafood: Last but not least, Eddie V’s! Ranking in at #1 out of 946 Restaurants in Kansas City this is a wonderful place for upscale dining. It is a perfect restaurant to spend your anniversary, birthdays, or any other special occasion you may have! You will spend a bit more money here, but for some extremely decadent food. Try the Kung Pao Calamari while you wait to indulge in the bacon wrapped fillets with a side of truffled macaroni and cheese. They have a delicious selection of cocktails including the Red Dragon which is made with Bacardi Dragonberry Rum, fresh muddled strawberries, mint, and lime. And to send it all over the edge, give their bananas foster butter cake a taste! You soon will find out why Eddie V’s is rated so highly and you will never see food the same way afterwards! Go ahead and treat yourself at 700 W 47th St Suite 115, Kansas City, MO 64112.
Kansas City has some of the most universal and inclusive eateries you will find. This list only consists of very few places you will come across that will blow your mind! So bask in the beauty and take your taste buds on a wonderful flavor tour in the great KCMO!